Menu

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Creating Custom Dolls

Ever since I started customizing AG dolls, I've gotten plenty of questions on HOW I made them. But first, what is a custom doll? The American Girl wiki says that Custom Dolls are dolls that have been customized into unique looks or characters that American Girl has not made. American Girl sells doll hearing aids and dolls without hair, but that's as far as they go. AG collectors often customize dolls to create new characters, create AG characters that weren't made into dolls (such as a charcater's siblings, friends etc), and to create boy dolls. The most common types of customization are freckling, rewigging, and eye swaps.


So far I have made two custom dolls, Eleanor and Satsuki. Satsuki was based off of a movie character, and Eleanor is my own original character. Satsuki simply received a new wig, while Eleanor had an eye swap.  I'll make a future post describing the process of how I made them.

Customization of dolls comes AT YOUR OWN RISK. It is very easy to damage a doll in the process. If you later decide you don't like your doll and want her back to the way she looked before, the AG doll hospital will not accept your doll that has been customized. I also recommend practice before making your custom. Wig swapping is easy, with little risk involved. Eye swapping is hard to do and easy to mess up. Patience is required.

Follow Cloudberries & Quilt Stitches for tutorials and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment